1. Can I bring my own sewing machine to class?
Though all sewing machines have similar attributes and functions, CHC uses the Elna 3210 for all sewing classes. Depending on the class, the course materials may be tailored specifically to the Elna 3210 and would not be appropriate for your sewing machine. Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis for multiple session classes. Please speak to your instructor during the first class session to see if it would be acceptable to bring your own machine for the remaining sessions of class.
2. Can I bring my child to class?
All participants attending must be registered for the class. The age limit for group classes is 16. Private lessons are available for students under the age of 16.
3. Can I bring my dog to class?
Sorry, but no. Our lease restrictions do not allow for dogs inside of the building.
4. What happens if I come late to class?
Please refer to our arrival restrictions.
5. How do I cancel out of my class?
Please refer to our cancellation policy.
6. What materials do I need for my class and where can I get them?
Please refer to our buyers guide.
7. What sewing machines do you recommend?
Please refer to our buyers guide.
8. Do you teach private instruction?
Yes! Private lessons in sewing and pattern-making are taught at our location at a rate of $40 per hour. Lessons can be taught on our machinery or you may use your own. Please email for available dates and times.
9. Do you teach private parties?
CHC may be available for private parties on a case by case basis. Please email us for availability and rates.
10. Do you do alterations?
No. We are strictly a school and do not do alterations.
11. Do you do custom sewing commissions?
CHC does not take on individual sewing commissions, however, we have a list of independent sewers and designers that may be available for contract work. Please email us with the details of your project and we will forward the specifics to our email list. If one of them is available to take on your project, they will contact you directly, so please be sure to include a valid email address and phone number with your request.
12. Will you do a lesson in my home?
CHC instructors are open to in-home instruction on a case by case basis. Please email us with your location and the specifics of what you would like to learn.
13. Who do I contact for press/marketing matters?
Please email us with any press requests.
14. What forms of payment do you accept?
Preferred payment is through PayPal. We currently accept online payments through PayPal or mail in money orders. Don’t have a PayPal account? It’s fast, secure, and easy to set up! Just follow this link to begin!
15. How often do you post classes?
Classes are posted on a monthly basis.
16. How can I be notified of upcoming classes and events?
Please sign up on our email list to be notified when new classes or events are posted.
17. What equipment is available in your studio?
We use a variety of standard mechanical sewing machines. We also have Elna 744 and 754 series sergers and a Singer industrial machine available for specific classes.
18. Can I rent time in your studio to work on my own projects?
Sadly, we are not set up as a drop-in sewing lounge. The CHC studio is only available for the posted pre-registered classes or private lessons scheduled in advance.
19. Do you teach pattern making?
We teach a standard skirt sloper class to get you started. We highly recommend Apparel Arts if you are interested in learning more advanced slopers and flat pattern making.
20. Do you sell gift certificates?
Though we're not set up for gift certificates just yet, we'd like to offer them in the future. Check back for updates!
21. Do you teach corporate classes?
Yes! Please email for pricing.
22. Do you accept donations?
Please email for our donation guidelines.
23. What are your class and registration policies?
Please visit our policies page for policies and restrictions.
24. What are your policies for missed classes?
While we understand that someone may miss a class due to illness or other emergencies, we hope that you understand that as a small business we need to cover our operating costs and cannot accept less than 3 days notice for transfer requests. Please visit our policies page for policies and restrictions.
25. Is your studio wheelchair accessible?
Sadly, our studio is not wheelchair accessible. We are located on the first floor of our building, however, our landing
is approximately 10 steps above street level.